Shawnee Irmen, from Consulate’s Maitland office, shares her simple and satisfying recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls. The timeless recipe will make your family and friends feel well-cared for.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened; drain.In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, 1 cup cooked rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of tomato soup. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves. Roll and secure them with toothpicks or string.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, place the cabbage rolls and pour the remaining tomato soup over the top. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring and basting with the liquid often.
- Once the rolls are cooked, remove from heat, and serve immediately.
About the Consulate Family Cookbook
The Consulate Family Cookbook is a collection of family recipes submitted by Consulate Health Care employees. If you are a Consulate Health Care employee, and would like to share your family recipe with us to be featured in our cookbook, please submit your recipe along with a consent form to GoodNews@consulatehc.com.